Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Light on the Horizon

A much needed change of events has occurred since my last post. First, I have spent time reading my scriptures diligently and praying (often). Second, I had a long discussion with my husband. And third, I spent time with some wonderful friends. These past few weeks have been a time of great reflection and problem-solving. Not only has my faith increased, but I am happier and hopeful.




(Picture taken from LDS Living) 

I have set abstract goals for myself which I will explore throughout the next few posts. They are:

  1. Spending more meaningful time with my husband like reading scriptures, family prayer, and technology-free time. 
  2. Keeping up blog writing while also limiting my time spent on more wasteful things like hours of social media browsing and watching television.
  3. Working on tangible skills and talents like sewing, gardening, and learning to play an instrument. 
  4. Creating a home that is more christ-centered and relaxing. 
  5. Discovering what my working hands are meant for..
The last goal is a bit more abstract than the others and I will explain why. Part of my pondering over the last few weeks has led me to find I do not want to work like a normal person. What I mean by this is a job that is 9-to-5, has a promotion ladder, and runs on a never-ending money cycle. To clarify, I read a blog last week about a couple who had typical jobs and were fed up with the "cycle". They decided to quit their jobs to travel. They explained the "cycle" as getting a job to buy a car which leads to needing a garage for the car so you buy a house and now you need to fill the house. Before you know it you have all these material things you need to buy and maintain which leads you to having to work for the rest of your life to pay for these things. (I am pretty sure the explanation was not in those exact words but this is how I interpreted it.)


Life can be much more simpler than the aforementioned cycle. It can be beautiful, successful, and happy with a lot less than what society makes you believe you should have. Besides, when life comes to an end you cannot take anything with you except what you have learned on this earth.

I am in pursuit now of figuring out how to live a much simpler life. I want to serve God and my fellow man while learning and exploring as much of the world as I can. 

I will end this blog post now to announce how I am beginning to learn, explore and fulfill my goals. From September through October I will be traveling to Wales and England! I will be WWOOFing (wwoof.uk.org) the whole time which will give me a chance to grow my gardening knowledge and skills but I also plan to spend some time traversing the surrounding areas. Ultimately I want to be more spiritually in-tune from this trip and more experienced in how to live a simpler life. I will record the whole trip on here so you can be sure to have some interesting reading material usurping that time. 

Happy Until! 

Brittnee

No comments:

Post a Comment